Monday, March 8, 2010

And The Oscar Goes To...

The Academy unveiled their picks for the best in the biz of 2009 last night at this years Academy Awards. Every recipient got their own piece of movie bliss when presented with the little golden statue better known as the Oscar.

The Hurt Locker was nominated for 9 Oscars and took home an amazing 6 awards. This coming in a year where a ground breaking movie called Avatar was highly nominated and expected to take home the lot. But, Avatar bank rolled a lot of money in theaters so naturally the Academy felt the need to stray away from giving it awards and stuck with the less known, political, set in a war movie as they seem to always do. I guess it makes them feel informed.

Oscars awarded to The Hurt Locker:

- Best Achievement in Directing (Kathryn Bigelow)
- Best Achievement in Editing (Bob Murawski and Chris Innis)
- Best Achievement in Sound (Paul N.J. Ottosson and Ray Beckett)
- Best Achievement in Sound Editing (Paul N.J. Ottosson)
- Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen (Mark Boal)
- Best Motion Picture of the Year (Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal, Nicolas Chartier, and Greg Shapiro)

Congratulations Hurt Locker.

Avatar also received 9 nominations but only took home 3 awards. And, the awards given to Avatar were the ones that would have been robbery if they went anywhere else at all. The movie was ground breaking, imaginative, and gave people an escape from the norm with real world undertones. But, I guess the academy didn't catch all that. Its like being a fan of Dave Mathews or MTV. "Its so mainstream and I will lose my artist card if people know that I like it." Thanks Academy for continuously proving that Hollywood is so out of touch with the people who make you.

Oscars Awarded to Avatar:

- Best Achievement in Art Direction (Rick Carter (art director),Robert Stromberg (art director),Kim Sinclair (set decorator)
- Best Achievement in Cinematography (Mauro Fiore)
- Best Achievement in Visual Effects (Joe Letteri,Stephen Rosenbaum,Richard Baneham, and Andy Jones)

Avatar, congratulations on your achievements. You deserved more.

Believe it or not, there were 4 awards that I agreed with. Its rare to find me saying such things the day after the Oscars. But, this year 4 major awards were handed out to the right people.

- Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role (Jeff Bridges)

Out of the nominees Jeff Bridges, with his portrayal in Crazy Heart of a broken down musician finding clarity in his life, put on the best performance. Then again it seems the academy has a soft spot for those roles as well. Congratulations to you, Mr. Bridges. I agree.

- Best Animated Feature Film of the Year (Pete Docter)

Up was an outstanding movie. Congratulations. I agree.

- Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (Mo'Nique)

If you saw Precious then you know there is no arguing this award. Congratulations Mo'Nique. I agree.

- Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role (Sandra Bullock)

The Blind Side could have taken home Motion Picture of the year and I would have been happy. But, at least Sandra Bullock did get recognized for an amazing job as Leigh Anne Tuohy. If you have not seen this, please make the time. It is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Congratulations Sandra Bullock. I Strongly Agree!

So, another Oscar night has passed and we will all be keeping an eye out for this years movies we feel should get a nod next year. Congratulations to all the winners and nominees.

1 comment:

  1. I really, really want to see Hurt Locker, and since I haven't seen it, I can't say whether or not I thought it was better than Avatar. BUT, I did see Avatar, and I just didn't think it was as earth-shattering as you portray it. I liked it. Alot. I also liked Fern Gully and World of Warcraft, so it makes sense that I'd like the movie that mixes the two. It will revolutionize the industry in many ways, I agree, but it simply didn't bring a lot of originality or true human drama to the table, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete